International Adoption assistance for individuals in the U.S. and worldwide including:
- Advice re the process of adopting abroad and bringing the child to the U.S.
- Case analysis and preparation of I-600 Orphan Petition submissions, I-800 Hague Convention Petition submissions, and related immigration petitions.
- Review, evaluation and recommendations re potential Home Study issues and related pre and post adoption problems.
- Case analysis and recommendations re immigration classification of child to determine whether he or she will meet the U.S. immigration requirements to come to the U.S. for example, definitions under the Orphan Petition, Hague Convention, etc.
- Advice and counsel re immigration and Hague compliance issues.
- Case analysis and preparation of I-130 Petition for nonorphan adopted child.
- Assistance to families in obtaining and/or documenting U.S. citizenship for their children born abroad.
- Review and evaluation of immigration documents prepared by clients or others.
- Case analysis and recommendations re immigration and citizenship of foreign born children adopted by U.S. citizens who live abroad.
- Assistance and recommendations to individuals who are interested in adopting a relative or an identified child who resides outside of the U.S.
- Representation and preparation of Motions to Reconsider, Appeals or other appropriate legal responses to Notices of Intent to Deny, Requests for Evidence, Petition denials, Petition revocations and other adverse actions.
- As necessary, litigating Petition denials in Federal Court.
- Responses and assistance re embassy and consular problems abroad.
Pennsylvania Readoptions or Finalizations for residents of Pennsylvania who adopt foreign-born children abroad and related services:
- Finalizations of adoptions that are not completed abroad, for example, adoptions from Korea or India.
- Registration of foreign adoption decrees.
- Pennsylvania birth certificates.
- Birth date changes.
- Name changes.
- Social Security issues.
- Domestic adoptions of foreign-born children residing in the U.S. and subsequent U.S. immigration legalization/citizenship for child as necessary.
- Health Insurance.
- Freedom of Information Requests to obtain copies of CIS and government documents.
- Assistance in getting proper documentation and proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Preparation of N-600 Applications for Certificates of Citizenship.
Pennsylvania domestic adoptions
- Agency adoptions.
- Interstate Compact filings.
- Termination of parental rights.
- Step-parent, second parent adoptions.
- Relative adoptions.
- Independent or private placement adoptions.
- Finalizations of adoptive placements.
- Domestic adoptions by individuals who are not U.S. citizens.
Ms. Lyford is an independent practitioner and is not an agency nor affiliated with an agency. She provides legal services only and does not place children for adoption.